Snips and Clips of PHS

Snips and Clips of PHS

Eve Garcia

Outsiders maybe wondering what is happening in Poteau High School? Lets take a look! 

The school has been promoting COVID-19 safety in many ways and there has been an organization that supported us too.The Choctaw Nation donated hand sanitizers that are located all over the school for students to use. FCCLA members put together a video for Pre-K-2nd graders regarding Halloween safety promoting the washing of hands before eating their candy, to use of masks and to stay six feet apart. 

Who are the Virtual teachers? They are none other than Mrs.Brooks, Mrs.Snipes, Ms.Fisher, Mrs. Humphries, Mrs.Quarry, Mrs.Stockton, Mr.Wright, Coach Hardin, and Mrs.Upton. The virtual teachers are working hard everyday to teach both their students in the classroom and the students that are virtual. Each teacher has their own subject that they monitor on a daily basis, which includes keeping students on pace with their assignments. 

Mrs.Brooks,  ICAP Coordinator, Senior English teacher, and Virtual Computers and Art is currently working on the Senior ICAP Conference where the students will be able to select four seminars from various professionals. This will give the seniors an opportunity to see different careers that they might not have even considered in the past before. There will also be colleges and technology center representatives available at the conference for seniors to have one-on-one conversations.

Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 all band competitions were cancelled and the students were not able to attend to regionals. Many of the students are down that they didn’t get to participate in these events. Color Guard had an unofficial regional competition at Panama on November 4, 2020 and ranked Superior ! That was the only event they were able to compete in as well. 

The Softball Fast Pitch Varsity ended their season with a 13/4 and did more than a great job representing our school when they played! 

In Football Varsity , there have been only two losses out of nine games! They crushed Fort Gibson with a score of 28 to 6 on October 30th and they are looking forward to perform their best against Broken Bow. If they win against Broken Bow it would make the Pirates district champs for the third year in a row! Then they will have state play offs to dominate!

As for Cross Country, both boys and girls made it to state this year which is a big success for the girls. According to Pirate Productions this is the first time in six years that girls have made it to state. Zoe Nesbitt placed in 45th place in the 3200m run in a time period of thirteen minutes and thirty-seven seconds! Stihl Snyder also placed in 45th place in the 5K run in a time period of eighteen minutes and twenty-eight seconds!

The Wrestling team have begun to practice and are getting ready for their season! Also, the Poteau Thespians are participating in a musical/play called Into the Woods by James Lapine. Go support them tonight, Saturday, and Sunday at Reynolds Center Amphitheater here in Poteau .