ACADEMIC BOWL PLACES AT STATE

Madeline Brennan, News Editor

Submitted by Madeline Brennan
LEVELING UP. The PHS Academic Bowl team poses with their fourth place plaque shortly after the state tournament. Pictured top row from left to right: Tom Brennan, Coach, Haley Zheng, Senior, Dakotah Tippet, Senior, Jahn Ocampo, Sophomore, Alexas McCormack, Sophomore, Emily Teague, Sophomore, Michael Hamilton, Sophomore, Myles Fabian, Freshman, and Jim Brennan, Freshman. Pictured bottom row from left to right: Shelby Zink, Sophomore, Nina Zheng, Sophomore, Amanda Zheng, Sophomore, Bailey Pickle, Senior, Madeline Brennan, Senior, Olivia Brennan, Junior, Riley Gastelum, Sophomore, Kenny Ni, Sophomore, and Phillip Breeding, Senior. This is the first time the PHS Academic Bowl team has placed at state since the 1990s. “It was an honor to make it so far,” said Coach Brennan.

The Academic Bowl team went to the state tournament in El Reno on Saturday, February 8, 2020. The team drove up on Friday and stayed the night. They competed in four rounds total, knocking down the top team, Tuttle, in their first round after being named the lowest scoring team. They went on to get fourth place overall and received medals and a plaque. “It was an honor to make it so far, especially at state,” Coach Brennan said. “Our team has come a long way since I first started coaching and I’m very proud of them.”