SENIOR CONFERENCE AIDS POTEAU STUDENTS WITH POST-HIGH SCHOOL PLANNING

With the support of nine career speakers and seven college representatives, Poteau High School’s ICAP (Individual Career Academic Planning) program provided the Poteau seniors an opportunity to explore academic and career choices for their future plans after graduation.  

Reagan Bullard

Seniors Brooklyn Adams and Jessa Craig cover aspects of enrollment with Chloe Lambeth from the University of Oklahoma.

Poteau seniors were able to choose four career sessions to attend while college representatives were set up for the duration of the conference to answer any questions the students had about applications, enrollment, financial aid, and other opportunities offered.  Guest speakers came with plenty of wisdom to share with the students about experiences in their career field as well as wisdom on how to reach their goals. Speakers were encouraged to have open and honest conversations with the seniors about things such as salary, realistic expectations, work ethic, and communication skills.  

Reagan Bullard
Poteau senior classmates listen intently to a law enforcement career presentation with officer Joshua Blake.

Seniors, like all Poteau High School students, were given the task of creating an account on the OKCareerGuide.org  which gave them the opportunity to complete three different career assessments based on their career interests, personal skills confidence, and work values.  From this valuable data, we were able to focus on the top career choices where the students showed the most interest. Business, Health Science, Human Services, and Communications were among the top picks.  Specific careers such as nurse practitioner, pharmacy, athletic training, law enforcement, business, news anchor and production, and psychology and counseling were among those represented at the conference. For students interested in other training options besides college, KTC had their booth set up to offer information on special skills-training for a wide variety of careers.  Colleges such as OU, EOSC, NSU, Carl Albert State College, OSU Tech, the University of Tulsa, and UAFS were represented for students to gain one-on-one information to wrap up any last questions and to note any approaching deadlines. 

Reagan Bullard
Poteau Senior Angel Schmidt visits with a representative from NSU at the ICAP Senior Conference.

The conference was held at the Poteau Reynolds Center giving the seniors a professional environment to focus on their future and also the opportunity to actually all be in the same place at the same time allowing them to network with their fellow classmates.  Seniors ended the conference with lunch and a word of encouragement from Bentley Hill, BSU Director at Carl Albert State College.

The Poteau ICAP program would not be effective without the partnerships shared with individuals, businesses, colleges, and technical institutes.  A special thanks to Lisa Brence KNWA Fox24 News, Eastern Oklahoma Medical Center, The Community State Bank, Leslie Hemphill Gear Up, Kris Williams KTC, Dr. Tamatha K. Holt Optometry, Wells & Company, Nicole Wilkins University of Tulsa Athletic Training, Jarel Hendricks Pinnacle Health, Chad Yandell Pharmacist, Hali Repass Carl Albert State College, Josh Blake Law Enforcement, Kristi McConnell Carl Albert State College,  Ben Glass Western Arkansas Counsel & Guidance Center, Brian Brooks Farmers Insurance & Financial Solutions, Chad Fox CDF & Associates, Roger Mattox Jr. Business Owner Fat Man’s Great Eats, Jody Adams Business Owner Jody Ray’s Cabinet Doors, Mike Soehlman District Manager Harps, and Chris Hawn Wister State Park for recognizing the value of sharing your career and academic knowledge with our students encouraging them to be the best they can be.