• Apr 17, 10:37 amPirates place second at Checotah District Track Meet Tuesday April 16

• Oct 8, 9:28 amFollow our online scoreboard for updates on all the sporting events at PHS!

Filed under News

APPROACHING STORM: THE TEMPEST

Pirate Players Theatre Co. opens the final show of their 2018 - 2019 season

A+STORM+APPROACHES%3A+With+her+magical+powers%2C+Prospero+%28played+by+Trista+Fassio%2C+center%29+creates+a+tempest+that+drives+a+ship+ashore%2C+bringing+an+unlikely+cast+of+characters+together+for+an+hour-and-a-half+of+ups+and+downs+in+Shakespeare%27s+THE+TEMPEST%2C+produced+by+Pirate+Players+Theatre+Company.++Seen+here+are+the+usurping+brother+Antonio+%28Phoenix+Klein%29%2C+the+slave+Calaban+%28Braden+Coulter%29%2C+fairy+spirit+Ariel+%28Aidan+Falkner%29%2C+prince+Ferdinand+%28Logan+Midgley%29%2C+daughter+Miranda+%28Chloe+Gotes%29%2C+and+clowns+Stephano+%28Raul+Becerra%29+and+Trinculo+%28Kinsey+Peck%29.++The+play+opens+Thursday+April+11+and+runs+through+April+13.+All+performances+are+at+7+pm+in+the+Bob+Lee+Kidd+Civic+Center.++Tickets+are+%245.++Poteau+Public+School+Employees+free.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

APPROACHING STORM: THE TEMPEST

A STORM APPROACHES: With her magical powers, Prospero (played by Trista Fassio, center) creates a tempest that drives a ship ashore, bringing an unlikely cast of characters together for an hour-and-a-half of ups and downs in Shakespeare's THE TEMPEST, produced by Pirate Players Theatre Company.  Seen here are the usurping brother Antonio (Phoenix Klein), the slave Calaban (Braden Coulter), fairy spirit Ariel (Aidan Falkner), prince Ferdinand (Logan Midgley), daughter Miranda (Chloe Gotes), and clowns Stephano (Raul Becerra) and Trinculo (Kinsey Peck).  The play opens Thursday April 11 and runs through April 13. All performances are at 7 pm in the Bob Lee Kidd Civic Center.  Tickets are $5.  Poteau Public School Employees free.

A STORM APPROACHES: With her magical powers, Prospero (played by Trista Fassio, center) creates a tempest that drives a ship ashore, bringing an unlikely cast of characters together for an hour-and-a-half of ups and downs in Shakespeare's THE TEMPEST, produced by Pirate Players Theatre Company. Seen here are the usurping brother Antonio (Phoenix Klein), the slave Calaban (Braden Coulter), fairy spirit Ariel (Aidan Falkner), prince Ferdinand (Logan Midgley), daughter Miranda (Chloe Gotes), and clowns Stephano (Raul Becerra) and Trinculo (Kinsey Peck). The play opens Thursday April 11 and runs through April 13. All performances are at 7 pm in the Bob Lee Kidd Civic Center. Tickets are $5. Poteau Public School Employees free.

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels

On an island where magical powers are possible, Prospero plans to exact revenge on those who have wronged him.

Only, in this production, that island is a planet.  The titular storm that happens at sea, happens in space, and Prospero is a woman.

The Pirate Players production of William Shakespeare’s The Tempest opens April 11 at 7 pm in the Bob Lee Kidd Civic Center.

The production, which is directed by guest director Nick Weisenfels, promises many creative interpretations of this classic piece, with design decisions inspired by science fiction.

“I have long been a fan of science fiction,” said Weisenfels in his Director’s Note. “The Tempest, while originally intended as one of the earliest commentaries on western European colonization of the Americas, lends itself wonderfully to a futuristic adaptation.”

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels
A distraught king (Laura Bennetzen, right) has little interest in this new land, while her adviser, Gonzalo (Madison Savage, left), finds it fascinating.

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels
ARRIVAL: As a member of the crew, Adrian (Madison Pinnell) is the first to set foot on the planet. In Weisenfels interpretation, that meant she was the first to attempt to breath outside of her spacesuit.

The futuristic adaptations include setting the play in space on a planet.  When Prospero (played by sophomore Trista Fassio) realizes that her enemy, her brother Antonio (played by sophomore Phoenix Klein) is passing by the planet on a return trip to Earth, Prospero uses the magical powers of the island to create a tempest that will bring the ship to the planet.

How do the actors feel about moving the setting from an island to a planet?

“I think it makes it more interesting,” says Chloe Gotes, who plays Prospero’s daughter Miranda.  “It will attract more people to see the show.  It is something we haven’t done before.”

Phoenix Klein has a similar opinion.

“It has made it a lot more interesting to watch, she says.  “It’s in space!  you’re a lot more interested in what’s going on.”

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels
Prospero, played by sophomore Trista Fassio, crafts a plan to take back her dukedom.

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels
RISING THROUGH THE RANKS: Antonio, played by sophomore Phoenix Klein, sees an opportunity to kill the king, which would improve her status.

Weisenfels came to his concept for the show through a speech by Carl Sagan.

“[My concept was inspired by] an examination, if you will, of what Carl Sagan described as ‘the folly of human conceit’ on a universal stage,” clarifies Weisenfels.

‘Prospero is forced to leave Milan, of which he is duke, years before the play begins by his brother Antonio, who usurped Prospero’s role as Duke of Milan.  With the help of Gonzalo, a member of Milan’s upper class, Prospero escapes with his daughter, Miranda to the island (or in this case a planet).  Prospero feels cheated by Antonio’s actions and seeks revenge on everyone who supported Antonio’s plans, which includes the king of Naples, Alonso (played by junior Laura Bennetzen).

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels
Prospero’s plans are carried out in the show by a spirit named Ariel (freshman Aidan Falkner).

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels
IT’S MY ISLAND: Caliban (played by junior Braden Coulter) explains to Prospero that he is tired of being her slave.

“In The Tempest, we are introduced to characters whose motives are informed by some of the most basic features of their own humanity: greed, revenge, lust, and power,” adds Weisenfels.

For Klein, her development of Antonio’s character is based on the need for power.

“Antonio has a sister that has always gotten the attention,” says Klein.  “Antonio has been pushed into a corner.  He sees a chance to be in the spotlight and takes it.”

Trista Fassio feels that power is also a driving force for Prospero.

“Prospero wants power,” she explains.  “She snatched the island from caliban[‘s mother].”

Prospero’s power is taken from him by Antonio.  When he arrives on the island (or planet), he discovers a witch currently presides over the island and takes the witch’s power and her life, leaving behind a son, Caliban (portrayed as an alien by junior Braden Coulter).

But Weisenfels and Fassio both understand that the play is about what Prospero learns through the course of the play that is important.

“Prospero learns that they cannot hold a grudge against a sister that tried to kill them,” claims Fassio.

Weisenfels clarifies that it is about curbing our human nature.

“By the end, we see that these unfavorable conditions of human nature are able to be overcome by the nobler fixtures of forgiveness and love; qualities that we are all too often remiss in forgetting to exercise as we deal with one another,” says Weisenfels.

Audiences have three chances to see The Tempest: Thursday April 11 – 13 at 7 pm.  Tickets are available at the door for $5.  Poteau Public School employees are free.

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels, Sponsor

English/Speech/Drama/Journalism Teacher at PHS

Sponsor of Color Guard, Thespian Troup #3283, Debate/Forensics Team, Mock Trial Team and Pirate Players...