WOMEN FROM AROUND THE WORLD YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT

March 8th was International Women’s Day, when we celebrate the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. This day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender equality.

Allegra Pradelli, Features and Opinions Editor

International Women’s Day first emerged from the activities of labor movements at the turn of the twentieth century in North America and across Europe. Since those early years, International Women’s Day has assumed a new global dimension for women in developed and developing countries alike.

The growing international women’s movement, which has been strengthened by four global United Nations women’s conferences, has helped make the commemoration a rallying point to build support for women’s rights and participation in the political and economic arenas.

In this article you will read about 5 strong women from around the world that are helping to change the world we are living in.

• Greta Thunberg – a sixteen years old from Sweden who is trying to save the world.

Since August, Greta Thunberg skips school every Friday to sit outside Sweden’s parliament to demand the country act on climate change. Thunberg, who has Asperger’s syndrome, has since addressed global climate talks last December, the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, and has given her own TED Talk. Students in at least 270 cities around the world have followed her lead and also organized their own climate strikes.

• Parisa Pourtaherian – a photographer changing the rules by taking pictures at soccer games.

Women in Iran are not allowed in stadiums but Parisa Pourtaherian, however, did not allow the ban to stand in her way when the new season of the national league started last month. During a match in Vatani stadium in the northern city of Ghaemshahr, she climbed up on a nearby rooftop to cover it anyway – making her the first female photographer in the country to have covered a national league match.

1. Thelma Fardin – an Argentine actress who is speaking up about sexual  harassment.

Thelma Fardin’s story, which she shared as a video on her Instagram, received a lot of support. People started sharing their own experiences and expressing their solidarity with sexual assault survivors. Fardin has continued to speak up for women’s rights in the country, showing support for a movement to make abortion legal in Argentina, and more recently, for an 11-year-old girl who was forced to give birth to her rapist’s baby.

1.  Charlotte Allingham – an Indigenous Australian illustrator.

Allingham, a Wiradjuri woman based in Melbourne, has always done traditional Indigenous painting with her dad but never found the courage to share it because she was afraid of being shunned for being fair-skinned. since starting to engage more with her heritage as a form of self-healing last year, Allingham found herself building a community, and her illustration went viral on Australia Day last year.

1. Madeline Stuart – first professional model with Down syndrome.

Stuart walked eight runways at New York Fashion Week and debuted the third collection from her own fashion line last year. She now feels like she came along at a time when people were ready for change, explaining how social media has really turned the world upside down. She feels that people are now excited to see something new that also gives them representation.

From Iraq to Spain women from all around the world took the the streets in protest and strikes to mark International Women’s day. Celebrating women’s achievements throughout history is important and more women should be recognized for their work.