ANTI-FUNDRAISER

Thespians seek funds in unconventional ways

Back to Article
Back to Article

ANTI-FUNDRAISER

Help the Thespian Troupe reach their financial goal this spring by contributing to their ANTI-fundraiser.

STAFF

March first marked the beginning of Theatre in Our Schools Month, a month-long celebration of theatre in public schools.  The event is being celebrated nationwide by members of the International Thespian Society and locally by PHS’ own Thespian Troupe #3283, Pirate Players Theatre Company, and the Forensics team.

During the celebration, the Thespian troupe are hoping to finish out their fundraising for the year by seeking funds in a non-traditional way.

“The goal is to make money without putting forth a lot of effort,” says Lauren Peck, troupe sponsor.  “We also are poking fun at ourselves–we are constantly raising funds through one activity or another and by this point, we are all tired of asking for money.”

That brought up this idea that Peck found while looking for fundraisers online.

The fundraiser–or anti-fundraiser fundraiser as some have called it–asks for parents, friends, and community members who would usually be attending functions, selling items, or doing any number of things to help the group raise funds to donate money and skip the headache of doing the work.

Individuals can give “fifteen dollars [because] I do not want to bake.”  Or they can give “twenty-five dollars [because] I do not want to hit up any friends of family to purchase silly fundraiser items.”  Then can even donate $100 for the troupe to “forget their name” and never ask for another dollar this year.

“We know it is a very different fundraiser,” says Peck, “but we hope that they laugh with us as we do this.  And give us money.”

The fundraiser will cover a variety of troupe activities.  First, the troupe hopes to complete the fundraising efforts to pay for their NYC Trip (May 28 – June 2).  Next, the troupe hopes to use additional funds to offset the cost of productions and the costs for their annual award show in May.

Anyone can donate to the troupes fundraiser–not just friends and family of troupe members.  One of the options even includes paying $30 to scholarship a thespian induction.

Each year, the troupe inducts up to ten new thespians.  However, each person who joins has to pay a one time fee of $30 which covers their induction fee, cost of a Thespian Pin, and a year’s subscription to Dramatics magazine.   When the students are involved in several activities and have to pay for this and that, $30 can be struggle to come up with for induction.  This will give community members an opportunity to change a life for a student of theatre.

Which is what Theatre in Our Schools month is all about: the power of theatre to change a life.

To donate to the troupe, contact sponsor Lauren Peck ([email protected]).