NEW YEAR DIETS

Tanner Schmuck, Health/Beauty Editor

We all know that diets are a big part of New Year resolutions, but do people actually go through with them? That’s always the secret question.

2019 is the year to stay healthy, but in an actual healthy way. Diets that help you to get all the nutrients and vitamins you need are very rare. Popular diets want you to restrict your calories or eat no carbs. This way of dieting is unhealthy and won’t always get you the body you want.

The DASH diet is already one that has blown up for the beginning of 2019. Originally, this diet was used to reduce blood pressure. It is made up of a mix of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and low fat dairy. Along with this diet, working out is almost a must.

It’s supposed to encourage people to avoid saturated fats, sweets, and less salt as a whole.

“It’s meant to improve nutrition and heart health more than losing weight,” says Time magazine writer Victor Luckerson.

On another note, the Mediterranean diet has been ranked the number one diet of 2019 by Health Magazine. It was ranked for multiple reasons, some including: it is one of the easiest to follow, it is one of the best diets for healthy living, and it is one of the best diets for diabetes.

This is very manageable; it’s not suffering, it’s not excluding things—it’s something that people and families really can do,” Dr. Katz tells Health Magazine.

This diet is supposed to help with improving life longevity and ward off chronic disease. It includes lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean meat.

For more information about the DASH diet, check out this article.

For more information about the Mediterranean diet, check out this article.