ESSENTIALS TO HELP MINIMIZE STRESS THIS SCHOOL YEAR

While everyone has their own “method to the madness” school can bring, these essentials for student life may aid in the way you conquer this school year.

Check out Chelsea Spearman's tips for avoiding stress this semester.

Chelsea Spearman and Dreama Tucker, Staff

Water

Don’t forget it’s important to stay hydrated. Often times it can be so easy to get caught up in the hecticness of life and completely forget the basic human necessity of drinking water. It can be really helpful to have a backpack with side water bottle pockets. Chances are that you’re more likely to actually drink if your water is out in plain sight, rather than packed away in your backpack out of vision. Bonus points if you use a reusable water bottle or remember to recycle your disposable bottles after use. There are blue recycling bins located in many classrooms across the campus!

Sleep

It can’t be stressed enough how important it is to get plenty of sleep. It can be tempting or even unintentional to stay up till the late hours of the morning laying in bed on your phone. But as you probably know, this never ends well. One of the last things you want when you have things to accomplish is craving all that lost sleep. As a step towards stopping this habit, try setting one alarm at the time you strive to go to sleep and another 30 minutes before that. That early alarm will serve as a warning that you only have 30 minutes before you go to sleep. Limiting yourself to the allowance of only having that 30 minutes between the time you get in bed and the time you go to sleep for phone time can be helpful in improving your sleep schedule.

Healthy Brain Food

Make sure you eat healthy brain foods. These foods can include: Coffee, Eggs, Blueberries, Broccoli, and even Dark Chocolate. Be sure to eat a breakfast that includes at least one of these foods; this will boost your memory and keep your brain awake. Make sure all the foods you eat are non-greasy foods.

Exercise

Start your day with a quick 5-minute stretch to warm up your body. Go for a short walk or jog before you start studying, this will clear your mind and allow your brain to stay clear. Going out just to enjoy the weather and clear your mind will help reduce stress.

A Planner

As cheesy as it may sound, a planner can really save your life when it comes to keeping organized. Having a visual list of everything that needs to be done minimizes the stress of forgetting something that may be important. Planners can also help with breaking down big projects into small daily accomplishments.

An Organized Bag, an Organized Mind

Staying organized is so important. While some people work perfectly fine in an unorganized and cluttered environment, sometimes less is better. The first place to start is your backpack. Keeping space consuming and unnecessary things in your bag can cause a lot more stress than you may think. If you’ve ever had to spend prolonged amounts of time digging through piles of clutter in your backpack just to find that one thing you were needing, you probably know what I’m talking about. Keeping your carry load reduced to essentials you know you’ll need makes finding what do you need so much easier. If all else fails, don’t be afraid to put that locker to use. Keeping those middle ground things that you may need, but not on a daily basis, in your locker can help you keep that carry load to a minimum.

At this point in the year, students are beginning to count down to the end of the semester.  Employing these few helpful tips can help everyone avoid the burnout that can come with the spring semester.