Did You Know? Part 6

Article 6 in the series “The Future of Facilities”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Did You Know? Part 6

Share your letters to the editor by e-mailing thepiratelog@gmail.com

Share your letters to the editor by e-mailing [email protected]

Dr. Don Sjoberg, Superintendent of Poteau Schools

DID YOU KNOW?

…that our high school students are using science labs that are at least 35 years old?  Other high schools have large classrooms for larger lab tables, Poteau students do NOT; Other high schools have refrigeration/freezing systems for specimens, Poteau labs do NOT; Other 4A high schools have science labs with sinks and ventilation systems that do not smell; the age of the pipes and ventilation systems in the science labs at our high school lends to unnecessary odors!   Three of the labs are older than 35 years and have had no renovations since being built.

Submitted by Dr. Sjoberg
A sink in the science labs at PHS

Damage to the floors in the science labs at PHS

…that on August 28, 2018, Poteau voters set a record for the number of “yes” votes for a tax increase to build new school facilities?  In spite of criticism and misinformation in social media outlets and reluctance by some to make the financial sacrifice of a 5.5% tax increase, 914 registered voters came to the polls and voted in favor of the bond proposal to build a new 7th and 8th grade center and a new high school classroom building.  When these classroom buildings are completed, students will have new and improved facilities for Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, Science, Home Economics, and Foreign Languages.  This will then allow the district to renovate current classrooms and buildings to make much needed improvements in facilities for the band, choir, drama department, vocational agriculture, and other activities and programs.   

Read more stories in this series here.

Are you in favor if the bond issue?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Disclaimer: Editorials published on The Pirate Log are not the views and opinions of the sponsor or staff.  If you would like to publish an editorial on our online newspaper, please send your article to [email protected]