DID YOU KNOW?

Part 3 in the series “The Future of Facilities” by Don Sjoberg, Poteau Schools Superintendent

Back to Article
Back to Article

DID YOU KNOW?

Share your letters to the editor by e-mailing thepiratelog@gmail.com

Share your letters to the editor by e-mailing [email protected]

Dr. Don Sjoberg, Superintendent of Poteau Schools

DID YOU KNOW?

…that the vast majority of 4A school districts that our students compete with have at least 17 mills (a mill is 1/10th of a penny) of property taxes dedicated to facilities improvement?  The communities of Wagoner, Durant, Sallisaw, Oologah, Tuttle, Hilldale, and Blanchard have all voted to raise their millage to at least 17 mills so that their children can have access to facilities that allow those students to demonstrate their skills and talents in the best possible way.  

Facilities matter!  Performing artists in music and drama should be able to be clearly heard AND seen in a concert hall and hear and see themselves so that they can improve.  Poteau High School drama teacher Lauren Peck-Weisenfels recently commented on the status of our facilities by saying that “to be a program of excellence, major changes in lighting, sound, storage, and dressing rooms would need to occur.”   

Facilities matter!  Science students should have science labs that are comparable to other schools and allow our students to use updated equipment and materials.  As a result of pipe corrosion, science rooms at Pansy Kidd Middle School have been without proper labs for many years and the high school is also dealing with “age” issues.    According to David Stone, a former Poteau High School science teacher now teaching in Arkansas, “Poteau schools are in dire need of new science facilities.  Science requires hands-on activities and labs, which in turn require proper facilities.”    

Facilities matter!  Students in competitive programs should be able to use the latest advancements in fields and floors to keep them on a level playing field with similar students from other 4A schools so that they can compete successfully, not only in high school, but at the intercollegiate level in Oklahoma and other states.  Advancements in football field turf have been utilized here in Poteau to give our athletes and band the best opportunity to compete successfully.

While other 4A schools like Blanchard, Hilldale, and Tuttle can build new facilities with over 25 mills available, the Poteau School District is limited to less than 8 mills for any major project, UNLESS visionary community members vote to increase that limit.  A supportive vote on the January 8th bond proposal will only increase that limit by 4.7 mills to less than 13 total mills.   

The growth and development of Poteau parallels with the degree of quality in our education system and its standards. As a community we are held to high standards among other cities our size,  which is one of the key factors in staying competitive in relocation of new residents and new businesses, contributing to a better quality of life while providing a quality place for the future of our children to live, work, play and do business. As residents of any community where the future was set for us by past generations, we should hold our standards just as high, preparing our children’s future for many generations to come.” — Karen Wages, Poteau Chamber of Commerce CEO  

Read more articles in this series here.

Are you in favor if the bond issue?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Disclaimer: Editorials published on The Pirate Log are not the views and opinions of the sponsor or staff.  If you would like to publish an editorial on our online newspaper, please send your article to [email protected]