Filed under Features/Opinions

November Students of the Month

This month, the Poteau High School students of the month were chosen. The teachers once again had the pleasure to reward those who showed respect and passion in the classes and activities they are part of.

Back to Article
Back to Article

November Students of the Month

November Students of the Month

November Students of the Month

Tanner Schmuck

November Students of the Month

Tanner Schmuck

Tanner Schmuck

November Students of the Month

This time we also asked our Students of the Month to tell us the teachers who have had the most impact on their high school career. We are not surprised that Mrs. Barbee, since she is also the teacher of the month of October, is the choice of a lot of students.

Tanner Schmuck
Maura Tecla, freshman Student of the Month

Maura Tecla, Freshman

Freshman Maura Tecla is involved in basketball, track and cross country. Maura thinks that, in order to be chosen for the title, you should have a good behavior in class and always listen to what teachers say.

“[I feel] great,” says Tecla, about receiving the title.

The class she enjoys the most is Math and Mrs. Dill, science teacher, is the teacher that has had a positive impact during these first few months of High School.

Tanner Schmuck
Brett Hoffman, freshman Student of the Month

Brett Hoffman, Freshman

Brett Hoffman is very proud of himself about being Student of the Month. He thinks he was chosen because of the effort he puts daily in class; during school he always try his best  to help all his classmates making sure they are not left out.

The class he enjoys the most is Math and he really likes to go to Mrs. Humphries’s class.

“She is teaching me a lot about science this year,” says Hoffman.

He is involved in basketball, baseball, and student council; in his free time he likes to work at the farm with his dad and to play basketball, practicing his shooting. He is thinking about going to OSU in order to become an animal nutritionist.

Tanner Schmuck
Emmy Ford, sophomore Student of the Month

Emmy Ford, Sophomore

Receiving the title Student of the Month makes Emmy Ford, sophomore, feel good and proud of herself. Emmy is involved in basketball and softball and during her free time  she mainly hangs out with her friends.

“[One becomes Student of the Month] by keeping good grades, good attitude and by doing what you are told to do,” says Ford.

Mrs. Barbee, Emmy’s English teacher since freshman year has had a positive impact in her high school career. Thanks to Mrs. Barbee the class she is best at now and enjoys the most is English.

“I want to go to college and become a physical therapist,” says Emmy Ford.

Tanner Schmuck
Yair Camargo, sophomore Student of Month

Yair Camargo, Sophomore

Yair is part of the Poteau High School Soccer team and the Pride of Poteau Marching band. At school he enjoys math and during his free time, he likes to read and play soccer with friends.

“I want to go to college and become an engineer,” says Camargo, talking about his future goals after High School.

Yair always makes sure he is doing his job well in class, and he thinks this might be one of the reasons why he was chosen. Receiving this award makes him feel pretty good about himself and his work at school.

Mrs. Barbee has had a good impact on him.

Tanner Schmuck
Alissa Owens, junior Student of the Month

Alissa Owens, Junior

Junior basketball player and member of the prom committee, Alissa Owens, feels very proud of the award which, also makes her parents proud and excited, too.

“I am responsible, respectful and a good student,” says Alissa, talking about why she was chosen.

She is fond of Math and English and she is really happy she had Mrs. Barbee in freshman year. Alissa does not know yet what she wants to do in the future but for sure she would like to graduate from college.

Tanner Schmuck
Easton Francis, junior Student of the Month

Easton Francis, Junior

Easton felt really proud when he found out he was chosen for one of the best students of November. In classes, he always tries his best and be respectful to everyone.  

Francis is involved in baseball, football, and prom committee. He is one of our best football players and he managed to score five touchdowns for the team during the Sallisaw game.

The classes he enjoys the most are English and science and his favorite teacher is Coach Hardaway.

Tanner Schmuck
Whitley Tramel, senior Student of the Month

Whitley Tramel, Senior

Whitley is part of the basketball team and a member of National Honor Society. Proud of this achievement, she believes it’s important to always have a good behavior and attitude during classes.

The classes she is best at are English and math; looking back at her years of High School she is most proud of the good grades she has always had.

“[Outside school] I like to hang out with friends and family,” says Whitley.

After this year she would like to get a medical degree in order to become a physical therapist.

Tanner Schmuck
Kyson Hardaway, senior Student of the Month

Kyson Hardaway, Senior

Since Kyson, senior, always tries to do the right things in class, he feels very proud and honored of this recognition. He is part of the basketball and soccer team, a member of the National Honor Society and of the Interact Club.

“Tenth-grade basketball bench was my favorite part,” says Hardaway, talking about his accomplishments during these four years at PHS, “I’m very proud of it.”

He enjoys English and Spanish and feels like all the teachers he had been special to him. During his spare time, he mainly hangs out with his family.

“I want to go to Arkansas and become an industrial engineer,” says Kyson about his future goals.

To read about the November Teacher of the Month, Katy Walls, be sure to check out this article.

Allegra Pradelli, Features/Opinions Editor

Allegra Pradelli is a Junior Exchange Student from Italy. She's involved in basketball and chorus.

View Allegra's best work here.

Tanner Schmuck, Staff

Tanner Schmuck is a Senior and serves on the Pirate Log/ Potonian Staff. She is involved in the Art Club, NHS, and writes articles for Journalism.  Her...