In Defense of Queen’s Hot Space

Why Queen’s “Worst” Album isn’t as bad as you think.

Raul Becerra, Copy Editor

When you think of one music genre that a lot of people seem to hate, you tend to think of disco. Disco was hated by many in the 1970s and 1980s and rallies were happening to destroy disco. So when Queen came out with a disco album in the early 80s, people were disappointed.

Hot Space is regarded as one of the worst albums made by Queen. Critics, such as The Rolling Stones, gave the album a low review. Even the band members Roger Taylor and Brian May hated it, and Freddie Mercury thought it was a mistake. But despite all this, I don’t think it’s that bad of an album.

Hot Space, while not being as experimental as Queen’s other albums, it still manages to capture Queen’s charm. It’s a fun album to listen to, with lots of songs having groovy beats. Under Pressure is one of the best Queen songs ever.

In the end, I think Hot Space accomplishes what it was trying to do. It wasn’t trying to be an album that you have to find a deeper meaning to the songs. It’s not trying to be a Bohemian Rhapsody. It’s just a fun, dance album. When I need to relax, this is one of my go to albums.

I think this album is pretty good and doesn’t deserve the harsh criticisms that it gets. It’s purely a fun album. I give this album an 8/10.