2018-19 Elite Guard Tryouts

Mackenzie Chavez

More stories from Mackenzie Chavez

Selecting the best of the best

PLAYING+STATUE%3A+For+the+2018+marching+show%2C+sophomore+Chloe+Gotes+took+on+many+roles+including+a+statue+in+one+scene.++Gotes+was+one+of+the+color+guard+members+to+make+the+Elite+Squad+for+winter+guard.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

2018-19 Elite Guard Tryouts

PLAYING STATUE: For the 2018 marching show, sophomore Chloe Gotes took on many roles including a statue in one scene.  Gotes was one of the color guard members to make the Elite Squad for winter guard.

PLAYING STATUE: For the 2018 marching show, sophomore Chloe Gotes took on many roles including a statue in one scene. Gotes was one of the color guard members to make the Elite Squad for winter guard.

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels

On December 7, 2018 twelve members of the guard tried out to be a part of the Elite Guard Winter Guard team.  While all current members of the color guard will be part of winter guard, a special elite group will be performing more numbers and potentially competing for awards.   

The tryouts were performed to the song “you should see me in a crown” by Billie Eilish. Junior Kinsey Peck wrote the routine with an evil transition in mind.

“I wanted to get the point across that they’re going through an evil transition and turning into something BAD and CRAZY,” Peck stated in an interview.

“I like the song, it has a really nice touch, and it has a nice vibe,” stated Lizette Correa, a sophomore who auditioned for the group.  ”[The] routine shows character, passion, and motion.”

Kinsey Peck taught the color guard the routine Tuesday, December 4. The guard had two days to learn the routine and was performed Friday morning.

“I’ve been watching a lot of contemporary dance videos and a lot of Billie Eilish dance videos that professionals do,” stated Kinsey. “I find it easy to write to Billie Eilish songs just because it’s got a lot of bass drops and emotional sounds and big things that happen in each song.”

The moves in this dance routine were inspired by contemporary dance videos and some were Kinsey’s own moves. By combining the moves she created this audition piece.

The routine involves dancing, flag work, and acting. The beginning of the routine is a dance, but then changes to flag towards the end. Acting was the biggest part of the routine and getting into character. When in character throughout the entire routine; it brings the whole story together.

Many girls have stated different opinions on how they feel about the routine.

“I love it, because I learned an arabesque and it’s very creative,” Molly Clarke, junior member of the guard, said.

With these tryouts being for an elite group, the dance and flag part was a little more tough. The routine was made to be a little harder, so each girl can show how they’ve grown and how hard they will work.

The tryouts were done in groups of four girls and were videoed by Christian Williams who then sent it to Mrs. Peck-Weisenfels. Mrs. Peck sent the videos to three anonymous judges, whose scores determined the elite members.

After a week of deliberation, the Elite Squad was announced on December 17, 2018.

Chloe Gotes, Sanam Bhakta, Alyssa Driver, Jessica Martin, Mackenzie Chavez, and Kensey Hatcher will be working throughout the spring semester to learn more difficult routines for potential competitions.

Mackenzie Chavez, Staff

Mackenzie Chavez is a Freshman at PHS and is part of Poteau Marching Band/Color Guard.

View Mackenzie's best work here.

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels, Sponsor

English/Speech/Drama/Journalism Teacher at PHS

Sponsor of Color Guard, Thespian Troup #3283, Debate/Forensics Team, Mock Trial Team and Pirate Players...