How Water Can Become Your Best Friend

Back to Article
Back to Article

How Water Can Become Your Best Friend

HYDRATION: Knowing the importance of drinking enough water, seophomore Alex Kasper takes a drink in the hall before fifth hour.

Allegra Pradelli

Allegra Pradelli

Allegra Pradelli

Allegra Pradelli, Feature Editor

In every article related to health and beauty they tell you, rightly, to drink a lot of water. But how much water do we need to drink? When is the best time during the day to do it? In this article, you will find everything you need to know.

There is no universally agreed quantity of water that must be consumed daily, but our body needs a good amount because adult humans are 60 percent water, and our blood 90 percent.

Drinking water has a major effect on energy levels and brain function, prevents and treats headaches, helps with blood fluids, and last, but not least, with weight loss if you are on a diet, too.

Knowing the right amount of water we should drink per day is really important, but we have to be careful: if we drink too much, the sodium levels in the blood will become too low, leading us to water intoxication.

However, you do not have to worry: there are many sites on the internet which can help you with your  “hydration calculation” like this. Based on your age, body mass index, gender and then looking at your current hydration status, they’ll tell you how much you should drink per day. But always remember to listen to what your body tells you.

The right time to drink water should always be when you are thirsty, but some little tips will help you remember when is the best time to drink in order to maximize its effectiveness on your body.

1. In the morning

Consuming two glasses of water right after you wake up helps to activate the internal organs and to rehydrate after 7-8 hours without the consumption of any fluids.

1. Before meals

Drinking water helps regulate appetite stimulation, foster a sense of satiety, and improve digestion. Drinking more allows you to lessen the sense of hunger – especially if you tend to eat a lot of meals – and to reduce too large portions of food.

1. Before shower or bath

One glass of water before taking a shower or a bath will be enough to avoid having a drop of pressure.

1. Before and after practice

Water helps maximize physical performance and being dehydrated can lead to altered body temperature control, reduced motivation, increased fatigue and make exercise feel much more difficult, both physically and mentally. So, if you exercise intensely and tend to sweat, then staying hydrated can help you perform at your absolute best.

1. Before going to sleep

One glass of water before going to sleep will help you to stay hydrated during the night but also avoid strokes and heart attacks.

If someone is struggling drinking water, you can put a little piece of lemon in your glass or replace water with smoothies or juices made with fruit and vegetables. Moreover, you can “eat your water” by consuming food which contains a lot of water such as tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelons, and melons.

Allegra Pradelli, Features/Opinions Editor

Allegra Pradelli is a Junior Exchange Student from Italy. She's involved in basketball and chorus.

View Allegra's best work here.