Three Students Selected for All State Choirs

They've been practicing since July. They've survived two rounds of harsh competition. Now, they'll have to learn additional music before they can take the stage.

Back to Article
Back to Article

POWERFUL TRIO: Three PHS Choir members will perform in three different All-State choirs in January: Conner Peck, Dylan Richmond, and McKinlee Thomas.

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels and Noah Sweet

Three elite vocalists from the PHS choir program have been selected as All-State choir members.  Dylan Richmond, McKinlee Thomas, and Conner Peck will join the top tier of students from across the state in their respective choirs.

Dylan Richmond will perform with the Oklahoma Music Educator’s Association’s All-State Choir while McKinlee Thomas will perform with the OKMEA All-State Treble Choir.  Conner Peck will perform with the Oklahoma Choral Director’s Association All-State Junior High Mixed Choir.

“It’s a great honor,” said Dylan Richmond, who made All-State for the second time.

Richmond, a junior at PHS, is a member of Pirate Players Theatre Company, Thespian Troupe #3283, and NHS.  He is a trained musician, fluent in instrumental and vocal music.  Having taken private lessons and having been involved in theatre for the majority of his life, Dylan is no stranger to the world of auditioning.  Which might explain why he did not feel the need to put in a lot of extra time working on his pieces.

“I mainly just practiced at school,” said Richmond.

McKinlee Thomas on the other hand worked tirelessly on her pieces.

“I’d go home and sing with my CD, go to voice lessons,” she said.

Thomas has made all-state choir twice thanks to her efforts.

McKinlee, a sophomore, is another person who has taken private voice lessons and been involved in both vocal and instrumental music in school.  She is a member of the Pride of Poteau Marching Band (drumline), Pirate Players Theatre Company, and Good Times Community Theatre League, among other activities.

The youngest member of this talented trio is the only individual who has never been given training outside of school for his musical education.

Conner Peck, freshman, has been involved in band and choir since middle school but has never taken a private lesson.

“It is definitely a long road to get here,” said Conner.  This was his first time to make All-State, though he had tried out once before.

Peck is also a member of PPTC and GTCTL as well as the Pride of Poteau Marching Band, Debate/Forensics, and Cross Country.

The OCDA All State Festival is January 10 – 12, 2019, in Oklahoma City.  A concert will be performed at 1:30 pm on January 12 at the Yukon Performing Arts Center.

The OkMEA All-State Festival is January 16 – 19 in Tulsa.  A concert will be performed at noon on the 19th at the Tulsa Performing Arts Center.

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels, Sponsor

English/Speech/Drama/Journalism Teacher at PHS

Sponsor of Color Guard, Thespian Troup #3283, Debate/Forensics Team, Mock Trial Team and Pirate Players...