What exactly is the Me Too movement?

Back to Article
Back to Article

What exactly is the Me Too movement?

Copy Editor Emily Teague takes readers through a brief history of the MeToo Movement.

it's me neosiam from https://www.pexels.com

Emily Teague, Copy Editor

It all started with Tarana Burke’s usage in 2006, when she used the phrase “Me Too” to describe the widespread sexual abuse in society and workplaces. Burke has since been named one of the “silence breakers” by Time due to her involvement with the movement.

Burke came up with the phrase after she was approached by a young girl who had experienced sexual abuse, but when Burke was unable to contact her after the meeting, she said she wished she could’ve at least said, “Me, too.”

Flash forward to late 2017 when actress Alyssa Milano used the hashtag ‘#MeToo’ following the allegations on Harvey Weinstein for sexual misconduct. Using the tag, millions of women used the Me Too movement to share their own stories.

Even though the movement was drawing public attention by itself, Me Too really began to take off during the Wienstein allegations. Over eighty women came forward to accuse the Miramax co-founder of sexual misconduct while working for him. This created what we now know as the Weinstein Effect.

The Weinstein Effect is a trend where anyone who had been subjected to sexual misconduct by a famous or otherwise powerful man, came forward. This is what gave many women the courage to come forward and speak about their own experiences.

The reason this discovery created such large waves in the community is because it made the public realize just how far this affected women. It wasn’t just a criminal’s act; men who had been trusted for years had been abusing these women behind closed doors.

One major thing that happened because of the movement, was the ME TOO bill being pushed into the US congress to change the way sexual harassment was dealt with when reported to the judicial government. The idea was, that complaints would no longer need to be backed by counseling and settled with tax dollars.

Many Republicans didn’t agree with the bill, because they believe it is becoming a weapon that women can use to gain fame and money by falsely accusing men in high ranking positions.

Many other movements have branched off to highlight a specific place where sexual misconduct may be especially prevalent. One example is the ‘#ChurchToo’ movement, which began to put a spotlight, and help stop sexual misconduct that happens within the church, where assault has not only affected women.

This movement was, and still is, a way for anyone suffering from sexual assault to speak out and make themselves known, and in return, it has helped discover deep secrets of otherwise powerful people. Society might be split on the issue, but being able to share their stories has helped the victims heal.

Emily Teague, Staff

Emily Teague is a freshman at Poteau High school. She is a part of the Pride of Poteau Marching Band/Colorguard and Journalism.

View Emily's best work...