• Nov 11, 6:21 pmDylan Richmond named to OMEA Mixed Choir; McKinlee Thomas to OCDA Treble Choir

• Nov 6, 8:43 amSallie Taylor, junior, crowned Miss PHS 2018

• Nov 6, 8:43 amTuesday November 6 is election day. Visit your local polling site before polls close.

Red Ribbon Dress Up Week

Poteau High School shows commitment to living drug-free with a dress-up week.

GETTING+INTO+CHARACTER%3A+The+Sanderson+Sisters+%28Hocus+Pocus%29+were+on+hand+to+keep+the+children+in+line+on+Halloween.++Mary+%28Alicia+Hoffman%29%2C+Winifred+%28Lauren+Peck%29%2C+and+Sarah+%28Stefany+Snipes%29+spy+a+little+witch%2C+Emma+Reed%2C+who+was+kind+enough+to+stage+a+%22wicked%22+photo+in+honor+of+Red+Ribbon+Week.+
GETTING INTO CHARACTER: The Sanderson Sisters (Hocus Pocus) were on hand to keep the children in line on Halloween.  Mary (Alicia Hoffman), Winifred (Lauren Peck), and Sarah (Stefany Snipes) spy a little witch, Emma Reed, who was kind enough to stage a

GETTING INTO CHARACTER: The Sanderson Sisters (Hocus Pocus) were on hand to keep the children in line on Halloween. Mary (Alicia Hoffman), Winifred (Lauren Peck), and Sarah (Stefany Snipes) spy a little witch, Emma Reed, who was kind enough to stage a "wicked" photo in honor of Red Ribbon Week.

Sarah Reed

Sarah Reed

Kaitlin Dodson, Staff

Students at Poteau High School are showing their commitment to living a drug-free life by participating in a Red Ribbon dress up week. Students dressed up to match themes from October 25th to October 31st.

Reagan Bullard
The teachers at PHS are often the best dressed on dress up days. Representing every decade from the 60s to the 90s are Mrs. Hoffman, Mrs. Taylor, Mrs. Brooks, and Mrs. Snipes. “I pulled out the exact outfit I would wear on game days in high school,” said Mrs. Snipes.

The dress-up week started on October 25 with a Throwback Thursday, where students had the option to dress up in an outfit from their favorite decade.

“I dressed up as the 50s mixed with the 90s, I love the polka dot dresses from the 50s and the bright pastels of the 90s,” Laura Bennetzen, junior, said.

Mackenzie Chavez
Members of the Pride of Poteau Marching Band had a lock on Pirate Spirit Day.

After the Throwback Thursday was Pirate Spirit Friday, where the students showed their school spirit and sported school t-shirts and school colors. Following that, the next week began with ‘Merica Monday, where students who participated wore red, white, and blue.

RED, WHITE, AND TRUE: The students at PHS showed out for ‘Merica Day on October 29.

Tanner Schmuck
OLD GLORY: Sophomores Jentri Jordan, Skylar Davis, and Alexa Vera teamed up to recreate the American flag.

Tuesday was Twin Tuesday, where students could match up with other students, wearing the same outfits, and sometimes matching hairstyles to match up with their friends.

Twin Day at PHS

Red Ribbon Week  finished off on Halloween with Character Wednesday. Students were able to dress up as their favorite character from a TV show, movie, video game, book, etc. Or students were allowed to just wear their Halloween costumes to celebrate the holiday while they are at school.

Molly Clarke
Seniors Have Character: Ethan Bradshaw, Breanna Curry, Briar Bowen, Marissa Naylor, and Carson Cheek prove you are never too old to dress up on Halloween, especially if it shows your commitment to a drug free life.

IF YOU GIVE A MOUSE A COOKIE: The beloved children’s book was brought to life by junior Maddie Gillham who made her very own over sized cookie for a prop.

Freshman Res Smith wished that the school would have gone beyond dress up days.

“Really I think they should give us a week where we learn the consequences of drugs instead of just saying ‘they’re bad’,” Res said.

The Student Council made announcements each day in the morning and in the afternoon, providing information about the dangers of drugs and alcohol.  However, the school did not have a school-wide drug prevention program and without a weekly advocacy hour this year, teachers were not able to do an individualized lesson plan with their select group of advocacy students.  

Members of the student council also made appearances in classrooms at the beginning of the week, encouraging all students to live a drug free life, handing out Drug Free lanyards to be worn as a reminder of their commitment to a drug-free life.  

For more information about Red Ribbon Week, be sure to visit their website.