• Nov 11, 6:21 pmDylan Richmond named to OMEA Mixed Choir; McKinlee Thomas to OCDA Treble Choir

• Nov 6, 8:43 amSallie Taylor, junior, crowned Miss PHS 2018

• Nov 6, 8:43 amTuesday November 6 is election day. Visit your local polling site before polls close.

POTEAU’S SKATE REATION

Members of Thespian Troupe #3283 and Pirate Players Theatre Company sponsored an 80s throwback themed skate night at the Skate-Reation in Poteau on September 27.

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels

Allegra Pradelli, Feature Editor

Allegra Pradelli
Junior Juan Baeza chooses his skates for the night.

Poteau’s Skate Reation, which hosted a special night organized by the Pirate Players on September 27, opened its doors for the first time thirty-eight years ago.

The PHS Thespians/Pirate Players Theatre Company hosted an 80’s skate night at the rink, where students roller-skated on the original flooring and under the original lighting. The colored lights make you feel like you’ve been thrown back to the 80’s because the skating rink will turn into a disco.

Allegra Pradelli
The Skate Reation still has the original flooring and lighting from the 1980s, according to owner Nancy Traywick.

The Skate-Reation was the venue chosen by the Pirate Players and Thespian Troupe. It  was meant to advertise the musical Xanadu and serve as a fundraiser for the Thespian’s New York City trip.

To match the Xanadu’s setting, the night was 80’s themed and numerous students dressed for the occasion, taking us back in the 80’s for a night. There was also a competition among the students for the best 80’s get up.

One of the best dressed of the evening was Kinsey Peck as she was wearing her stepmom’s original green Roller Rink Rats jacket from the 80s when her stepmother played roller hockey.

Allegra Pradelli
Vintage Gear: Always fashionable, Kinsey Peck loves a costume party. On the night of the Thespian Skate Night, Peck chose to go vintage by raiding her stepmom’s closet. “She has all these great things from the 80s,” said Peck. “She used to hang out at the Skate-Reation all the time.” That fact was helpful when choosing what to wear that night. Peck paired her stepmom’s green Rink Rat jacket with vintage jeans and a tank-top.

“It was an effective fundraiser,” said Bailey Pickle, president of the thespian group, “we raised over 150 dollars.”

She was satisfied with the result and with how the skate night went. Money was made while everyone spent quality time together and “everyone had an awesome time, it couldn’t be better.”