Hurricane Florence: One Hurricane, A Lot Of Damage

Chelsea Spearman, News Editor

Hurricane

noun

hur·ri·cane

1: a tropical cyclone with winds of 74 miles (119 kilometers) per hour or greater that occurs especially in the western Atlantic (via www.merriam-webster.com)

September 13th

Hurricane Florence is a level 2 tropical cyclone with expectations of severely hitting U.S  Mid-Atlantic states. It was originally a strong tropical wave off of the west coast of Africa. It’s currently about 280 miles east-southeast of Wilmington, North Carolina

September 14th

Hurricane Florence made landfall at 7:15am ET. It reached wind speeds of up to 103 mph marking the highest wind speeds measured since September of 1960’s Hurricane Donna.

September 17th

Reports show that a total of thirty-seven fatalities have resulted from Hurricane Florence. Many drowned from rising floodwater and others from various different occurrences. A tree falling on a family home caused the death of a three-year-old child in Green County. The same occurrence happened to 41-year-old Wilmington resident and her 8-month-old baby. In Virginia, a tornado created from Florence took the life of an innocent bystander. These numbers truly show the impact such violent conditions can make for families and individuals in general.

Chelsea Spearman, News Editor

Chelsea Spearman is a sophomore and is involved in FCCLA and Debate And Forensics.

View Chelsea's best work here.