• Oct 17, 12:46 pmThree students compete in Greenhand Quiz competition; Brett Hoffman places 6th overall.

• Oct 16, 11:19 amAcademic Bowl Team scheduled to host LeFlore County Tournament on October 23.

• Oct 16, 11:18 amBoys Cross Country and two members of the girls team to compete at State Saturday October 20

August Teacher of the Month: Jennifer Williamson

As someone who likes to stay out of the spotlight, the announcement of the August Teacher of the Month came as a complete surprise to Jennifer Williamson.

Jennifer Williamson, August Teacher of the Month

Noah Sweet

Noah Sweet

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels, Sponsor

If you were to ask her, Mrs. Williamson would credit her win to her “amazing co-workers.”  But her co-workers will tell you it is because she deserves it.

She is dedicated to making sure her students understand every aspect of her subject area, often taking time to teach a student one-on-one until that is accomplished.  Even students who have not had her in class know from time spent with her in after-school tutoring that she is always willing to go the extra mile to help a student in need.

Williamson, a wife and mother of three, also takes the time to get to know her students and their activities, supporting them and cheering them on both in the classroom and out.

Williamson currently teaches Algebra II and ACT Prep.  In the past, she has covered a variety of math courses as well as computer courses.  Though she took some time off from teaching, most of the past decade has been spent in service to the students of Poteau High School.  

As a student, she says her mother was an influential teacher in her life.

“I had her for seventh grade math, Algebra I, Advanced Math, and Calculus,” said Williamson.  “[She] was my favorite teacher.”

Choosing to follow in her mother’s footsteps was easy for her as a mother herself.

“I originally wanted to be a teacher so I could be with my kids, but now I know this is where I’m supposed to be,” she said.

When Mrs. Williamson is not at school, she enjoys many outdoor activities like kayaking and fishing.  She kayaks and goes fishing with her family, but not as much as she would like to. It is these passions which make her long to travel to Hawaii.

“I love the beach,” added Williamson.  “I would love to see the big waves, go hiking[…].”  

In the meantime, she uses what free-time she has to garden.  

“I garden every summer and I always have flowers.”

Mrs. Williamson is the first teacher of the month along with two students from each grade who have been chosen as students of the month.  While she might have been surprised to hear about her win, she believes the students are deserving.

“The ones I voted for are respectful kids that work hard in class,” she said in an e-mail.

The same could be said for Mrs. Williamson, who is certainly well-respected for her kindness, generosity, and dedication.  

Stay tuned to the Pirate Log for more stories on the Teacher of the Month.  Be sure to read about the August Students of the Month here.