Now we’re in Xanadu: Pirate Players Announce Production and Cast Information

On August 14, twenty-plus students stopped by the PHS choir room to turn in audition and technical forms in hopes of being part of the upcoming production of Xanadu, opening in October.

Alyssa Driver and Lauren Peck, Staff

The Pirate Players Theatre Company fall musical, Xanadu, is a jukebox musical featuring songs from composer Jeff Lynne and John Farrar that is based on the 1980’s cult classic film of the same name starring Olivia Newton-John.  

Using music by such great bands as ELO, the play tells the story of an artist named Sonny Malone who finds his inspiration running out.  On hand to help solve his problems are the muses from Greek mythology, led by Clio, muse of histories.

Clio disguises herself as Kira, an australian girl who loves to rollerskate in order to help Sonny fulfill his destiny: to create an epic roller-disco where rock concerts and art will converge with athleticism.  Much hilarity ensues.

PPTC has announced that leading the cast in the roles of Sonny and Clio/Kira are juniors Dylan R. and Angel S.  The other muses are played by Joanna D. (senior), Kinsey P. (junior), Jerret C. (senior), Elizabeth E. (junior), Trista F. (sophomore), and Ashlyn B. (freshman).  

Playing Sonny’s business partner, Danny Maguire, is senior Noah S.  Maguire doubts this venture will be successful, but finds something familiar in Clio/Kira and decides to go ahead with the deal.  Could it be that she was the same muse that inspired him years ago to build the Xanadu theater?

As the story incorporates Greek mythology, other interesting characters pop up throughout the show.  Like Zeus (played by junior Braden C.) and his goddess wife Hera (played by sophomore McKinlee Thomas).  Also on Mt. Olympus we find Aphrodite (Juliet F., sophomore), Thetis (Alyssa D., junior), Medusa (Molly C., junior), Hermes (Jori C., sophomore), Eros (Chloe G., sophomore) and Centaur (Serenitie W., sophomore).   

Additional cast members include freshmen Aidan F., Madison P., Jamie H., and Res S.; sophomores Amy L., and Sara F.; and seniors Briar B. and Raul B.

The musical premieres on October 11 at 7 pm in the BLK Civic Center at PHS.  Performances continue on Saturday October 13 at 7 pm and Sunday October 14 at 2 pm.  There will be no Friday performance due to the football game.

Tickets are $5 at the door for general admission.  Poteau Public School employees are free.

For more information about the show and the Pirate Players Theatre Company, follow the group on Facebook and/or Twitter.