• Nov 11, 6:21 pmDylan Richmond named to OMEA Mixed Choir; McKinlee Thomas to OCDA Treble Choir

• Nov 6, 8:43 amSallie Taylor, junior, crowned Miss PHS 2018

• Nov 6, 8:43 amTuesday November 6 is election day. Visit your local polling site before polls close.

Prisoners go on Strike

Prisoners all across the country go on strike to protest what they call modern slavery

Raul Becerra, Staff

https://pixabay.com/en/prison-prison-cell-jail-crime-553836/

Starting on Tuesday, August 21, prisoners all across the nation are protesting peacefully what they call “modern-day slavery.” The strike will last for nineteen days, ending on September 9th. The cities participating in this strike are in 17 states, mostly on the West and East Coast.

Prisoners leading the protest explain that they’re reason for protesting is that they’re paid pennies an hour for the labor that they do. They also speak about poor conditions in the prison and are calling for more rehabilitation services and voting rights.

In a statement made by the Washington Post, prisoners feel that they are in a warzone. They feel that they have been treated as animals.

The strike is response to a riot earlier this year at the Lee Correctional Center in South Carolina. Seven inmates died while many others were injured.

Following the riot, Jailhouse Lawyers made a list of demands and the list was posted over the weekend. The demands include basic human rights, like improved prison conditions and better pay. It also calls for an end to racial discrimination that still exists inside the prison.

This protest will continue until September 9th. This protest could possibly be one of the biggest in the nations history. Prisoners are hoping for immediate improvements to their lives.