• Nov 11, 6:21 pmDylan Richmond named to OMEA Mixed Choir; McKinlee Thomas to OCDA Treble Choir

• Nov 6, 8:43 amSallie Taylor, junior, crowned Miss PHS 2018

• Nov 6, 8:43 amTuesday November 6 is election day. Visit your local polling site before polls close.

Life Saving Drug Distributed to Oklahoma Sheriffs and Deputies

Narcan Becomes More Accessible

Jacob A. Ford, Staff

The Oklahoma Sheriff’s Association donated more than 1,000 doses of Narcan to departments across the state a few weeks ago to help reduce opioid overdoses.

Narcan (Naloxone)  is a drug that treats a narcotic overdose in an emergency situation.

A Pottowatamie County deputy recently saved a man who had passed out from an opioid overdose because he had a Narcan emergency kit.

Deputy Steven Sample told Oklahoma News that it’s crucial to keep the person awake for 20 minutes until you can get a Narcan Kit. They’re now pleased to say that they will have these kits on hand for when they need them and can immediately put them to use.

According to the Oklahoma Sheriff’s Association, 1,000 Oklahomans die each year from opioid overdose.  Paramedics say it’s often because they don’t arrive on the scene soon enough. In an effort to save more lives because this is a statewide issue and not just county or city, the Association has donated enough Narcan so every department in the state has doses available.