Captain’s Log: August

Finding My Xanadu

Noah Sweet, senior, performs at Thespian Festival during his sophomore year. 
 2019 will mark his third year serving as State Thespian Officer, a group of four students from schools across the state that help to plan the festival.

Noah Sweet, senior, performs at Thespian Festival during his sophomore year. 2019 will mark his third year serving as State Thespian Officer, a group of four students from schools across the state that help to plan the festival.

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels

Noah Sweet, Staff

Xanadu is defined as a place of great beauty, luxury, and contentment or an idealized place of great magnificence, it is also the title of the 1980 movie-musical starring Olivia Newton-John, and the 2008 Broadway adaptation, which is how I found out about the word.

I found the definition after a bit of research about the musical and it got me thinking; what is my Xanadu?

This small thought provoked me to spend some time to look back on my life and find where my happy place is. After hours of introspection, I remembered the first play I was in, A Servant of Two Masters.

The show is a hilarious series of mishaps and misunderstandings, which perfectly describes my life, I might add. The cast and crew of this show were so kind and welcoming, which made me realize that theatre was something special.

Before coming to Poteau as a freshman, I was a super-shy kid who had one friend. But after that pivotal show, I slowly became more and more outgoing and I became friends with more and more people until I developed into the charismatic guy I am today.

That cast made me feel at home. So I continued to be in shows. The more they go on, the more I learn that the theatre is where I belong.

Just like that, I realized my place of contentment is in the theatre, on the stage, behind the scenes, or even in the audience. I had found my ideal place without even noticing.

So I encourage you, go and find your Xanadu! Whether it is in the theatre like me, on the football field, behind a camera, in front of an easel, behind a desktop, on a couch with the T.V. on, in your room with music blaring, or with a book in your hand; find it and enjoy it!

If you need help to find your place of great beauty, luxury, and contentment, come to the BLK Civic Center on October 10, 13, or 14, and watch the Pirate Players’ production of Xanadu for some insight.