• Oct 17, 12:46 pmThree students compete in Greenhand Quiz competition; Brett Hoffman places 6th overall.

• Oct 16, 11:19 amAcademic Bowl Team scheduled to host LeFlore County Tournament on October 23.

• Oct 16, 11:18 amBoys Cross Country and two members of the girls team to compete at State Saturday October 20

THE OSCARS 2018  

The Year People Cared

Kelly Webster, E/T Editor

The Oscars have always been a popular topic and have always collected views, but when the lineup consists of films about racial horror, a mute woman falling in love with an amphibian man, and a crazy lady who loves billboards, Armie Hammer falling in love with a seventeen year-old, you know you’ve got something special.

The past few years have been a little unbearable for most people. In a time where politics have become the new religion, kids don’t feel safe at school, and television is now dead, people turn to movies for the original reason they were created. An escape.

The films featured in the best picture line-up all speak strongly about the stinging problems in our society today.

Get Out explores the horrors of living in the post-racial American lie, touching details about modern racism and stereotypes.

Lady Bird shows us a coming-of-age story about a girl who struggles through the later years of being a teenager, covering all notable high-school experiences such as your virginity, your parent’s marriage and jobs, and discovering that it’s all just about who you want to be.

The Post harks back to when The Washington Post  uncovered that our government was hiding horrible secrets.

Call Me By Your Name is about a teenager named Elio who spends the summer in Italy and soon discovers feelings for his father’s intern, Oliver.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri tells us the story of a mother who will go to any extent to find answers involving her daughter’s murder in a town where the police are more concerned about someone’s race than a dead body.

All the nominated films are filled with timely and relevant messages, but Guillermo Del Toro’s The Shape of Water is a story we can all relate to. Love. Well, most of us can relate to. The Shape of Water is about a mute woman, played by Sally Hawkins, who discovers an amphibian man and soon realizes that he understands her like no one else ever could. Yes, the movie is about fish-human love, but it’s more than that. It’s really about falling in love in the least expected moment with the least expected person. It’s about understanding how love works, and the effect of it.