• Apr 16, 1:42 pmSpring Play, Twelfth Night will be performed April 18, 20, and 21!

• Apr 16, 1:42 pmWant to know what's happening at PHS? Check out our Calendar at the bottom of our home page!

• Apr 3, 9:12 amTeacher Walkout over; schools across the state resume classes.

The State Qualifiers for The Debate and Forensics Team

Four women going to state

Raul Becerra, News Editor

On March 10th, thirteen students from the Debate and Forensics Team went to the Regionals competition. From there, four members are moving up to State while two more people received first alternates to State.

The students going to state include Juliet F., Hanna S., Madeline B., Brianna C. First alternates include Raul B., and Abby E., and Hanna S.

Madeline B. qualified in two events. She qualified for Domestic Extemporaneous speaking and Original Oratory.

“I’m really proud of my original oratory because it highlights feminism and the problems we still have in this country concerning equal rights/gender equality.”

Also qualified in Original Oratory is Breanna C.

“Through all the exhaustion and stress I had trying to prepare the piece, I am excited to be able to go,” said Breanna.  

Juliet F. qualified for her Standard Oratory. “Juliet did a fantastic job with voicing and presenting her piece,” said fellow classmate Breanna C. “She spent a great amount of time working on it, and should be proud of her accomplishment.”

Hanna S. qualified for poetry.

“My poetry piece is about Bipolar Disorder which is something that is incredibly important to me,” said Hanna S. “I had actually started working on it and putting some things together over the summer after I heard the poem The Future by Neil Hilborn.”

Raul B. is the first alternate for his Original Oratory. Abby E. and Hanna S. are first alternates for their Humorous Duo.

The State tournament will take place April 5 through the 7 at Oklahoma University in Norman, Oklahoma.