• Apr 16, 1:42 pmSpring Play, Twelfth Night will be performed April 18, 20, and 21!

• Apr 16, 1:42 pmWant to know what's happening at PHS? Check out our Calendar at the bottom of our home page!

• Apr 3, 9:12 amTeacher Walkout over; schools across the state resume classes.

The Space Force

A New Branch of Military Proposed by Donald Trump

Raul Becerra, News Editor

On March 13th, President Donald Trump went to speak to the Marine Corps in San Diego about possibly a new branch of the military. He floated around an idea about fighting wars in space.

“We’ll call it the Space Force,” said President Trump.

President Trump’s most recent national security strategy recognizes space as a war zone.

“Space is a warfighting domain, just like the air, land, and sea,” said the President. “We have the Air Force. We’ll have the Space Force.”

This idea started as a joke, claimed the President.

“I said, ‘maybe we need a new force, we’ll call it the Space Force,’ and I was not really serious. Then I said, ‘what a great idea,’ maybe we’ll have to do that,” Trump told the crowd of Marines.

Trump wasn’t the first politician to suggest having a military in space. In June in 2017, Rep. Mike Rogers suggested separating the air force into two branches. One would be dedicated to space while one would be focused on aviation.

“This is just the first step,” Mike told CNN at the time. “We will not allow the United States national security space enterprise to continue to drift toward a space Pearl Harbor.”

Air Force Lt. Gen. Steven Kwast told CNBC on Nov. 10 that the nation “could have an operational space force in three to five years.” While he believes it is too early to think about a new military force in space, Kwast’s forecast hits close to Harrison’s, who think it will be “four to six years before” a space corps materializes.