March Captain’s Log

Debating History, Great Scenery, and Things Lookin’ Springy

Will B. and Alyssa D., sophomores, enjoy the sites at the Heavener Runestone.

Wesley Bunn

Wesley Bunn

Wesley Bunn, Managing Editor

The Heavener Runestone is probably one of my personal favorite places to go once the winter weather begins to clear. I went there on the fifth of March, closer to the sunset. The weather is now seeming to be promising the fresh arrival of Spring. Spring is my second favorite season, and seeing its arrival at my favorite location, brought newly found inspiration and joy.

I recommend visiting parks as the season arrives to show support for their causes. The Heavener Runestone’s purpose is to educate citizens about the Scandinavian arrivals in the history of North America. According to information provided at the Visitor Center, the runes on the stone translate to “Glome Valley.”

The Heavener Runestone

According to Explore Southern History, the symbols are very debated. Many actually believe the translation is “Gnome Valley,” which has a more haunting sound to it. The website actually says;

“The carvings can also be interpreted to read “Gnonesdal” or “Valley of the Gnomes,” and in fact the beautiful mountain ravine at Heavener Runestone State Park looks much like the kind of place where our ancestors believed gnomes (small mythical beings)

could be found.”

This park is owned and operated by the town of Heavener, Oklahoma. The is a recent change, as the park was at one point a state park. The park lost its recognition due to arguably poor state funding choices.

The park features many outdoor scenes, these include the footpath around the valley, the waterfall, the stream, hiking trails, park, sunset viewing spots, picnic areas, and an outdoor stage area. The park also has one main festival, Viking Festival. This festival is essentially one big viking recreational including workshops, shops, and shows.