The Struggle to Find Employment

Is Applying for Jobs at 17 Worth It?

Briar Bowen, Copy Editor

As a young person trying to pave a road for myself in this world, I have been looking for a job. My quest for income has been slow so far. Within the last week, I have applied for three jobs, one of which is possible for me to be employed. The other two were just shots in the dark that I figured were worth a try.

Finding employment can be difficult for people of all ages, especially teenagers. The ongoing search for a highschool student to acquire a job can be tedious and disheartening with rejection at the end of every application. Right now, employment isn’t that big of a deal, but in the near future it could be a problem because money is essential for the survival of young people.

This led me to wonder if searching for a job at seventeen is even worth all the time and effort. Even if I could get a job, there could be drawbacks. The most likely cons would be less free time for myself and actually having to work a job, but those wouldn’t be so bad in the end if I had a good job.

As for the good sides of a job, I could make connections that could help me later on in life. Boredom wouldn’t be much of a problem if I were busy working all the time. Lastly, I would have access to income. Money always helps, and earning it helps one feel accomplished with what they have done to acquire it.

In the end, applying for jobs at a young age is worth it. Even if you are met with little to no success, you will have experience for the future when filling out applications, and you may even land the job.