• Apr 16, 1:42 pmSpring Play, Twelfth Night will be performed April 18, 20, and 21!

• Apr 16, 1:42 pmWant to know what's happening at PHS? Check out our Calendar at the bottom of our home page!

• Apr 3, 9:12 amTeacher Walkout over; schools across the state resume classes.

Debate and Forensics Team Continues Winning Season

Members of the Debate and Forensics Team

Heritage Portraits

Heritage Portraits

Julie Bott

Poteau High school’s Debate and Forensics team is closing in on their regional competition. The competition will take place March 10th in Tulsa, Oklahoma and students qualifying at regionals will move on to the state competition in Norman, Oklahoma in April.

Debate and Forensics is a speaking and acting competition. According to Ms. Peck, the team sponsor and coach, these competitions are used to improve students’  speaking skills and gives them a valuable advantage in their adult lives.

Competing in three rounds, the team’s season will not end until the last member of the team is eliminated. After the February 23rd weekend competition at Talihina, thirteen students from the Poteau team have qualified for the Regional tournament with a total of 21 pieces qualified.

The Norma J. Smith Memorial Tournament held at PHS on December 1 – 2, was their first tournament of the year.  The “home” advantage helped several of the students to get qualified right out of the gate. Those students include Hanna S. (senior) in Poetry, Braden C. (sophomore) in Dramatic Interp, Starla W. (senior) in Poetry and Monologue, Noah S. (junior) in Foreign Extemp. Speech, Breonna F. (freshman) in Standard Oratory and Prose, Madeline B. (sophomore) in Original Oratory and Domestic Extemp. Speech, and Juliet F. (freshman) in Monologue and Standard Oratory.

In January, the team attended the Quinton Tournament.  While sophomore Laura B. managed to break into finals, no one was able to qualify at the tournament.

Three tournaments kept the team on the road every weekend in February.  

First up was Deer Creek’s DC Universe Tournament.  Noah S. and Raul B. (juniors) managed to qualify their Humorous Duet “The Mysterious Art of Advertising.”  Raul also managed to maximize his Regional qualifications by also qualifying his Original Oratory and Domestic Extemp. Speech.  Madeline B. competed in the Champs division, a division for those individuals who had previously qualified and wanted to practice before Regionals.  She walked away having placed third in Original Oratory Champs, while the team walked away with third place overall in the 5A Division.

Next, three team members headed to Seminole College in the hopes of qualifying three more pieces.  Madeline B. and partner Bailey P. (sophomore) managed to qualify their Humorous Duet “Papa’s Last Wish,” giving Madeline her third qualification.  Now she and Raul were tied with maximum qualifications in exactly the same events. Kyler W. (freshman) also managed to qualify his Prose piece that day.  The team brought home another third place trophy at the end of the day as well.

The final qualifying tournament was held at Talihina High School.  It was the last time for the team to qualify any pieces and for those already qualified to get some practice so a large number of the team attended.  Everyone who attended in the hopes of qualifying did just that including seniors Hanna S. and Abby E. in Humorous Duet, Abby in Poetry, and Kyler W. and Maci W. in Monologue.

Heritage Portraits
Members of the team who qualified for Regionals

Now Poteau’s team is preparing for their regional appearance on March 10th in Tulsa, Oklahoma at Tulsa Union High School.

Congratulations is in order but the fight is not over yet for our Debate and Forensics team. Be sure to support your fellow students as they edge closer to their regional and state competitions.