Superintendent Addresses Teachers on Bond Issue

Dr.+Sjoberg+addresses+members+of+the+PHS+faculty+in+a+meeting.+
Dr. Sjoberg addresses members of the PHS faculty in a meeting.

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels

STAFF

March 15–A special meeting was held at 3:15 in the PHS Library for superintendent Dr. Sjoberg to discuss the upcoming bond issue with members of the high school faculty.  While approximately half the teachers were present for the meeting, Dr. Sjoberg was able to explain the finer points of the bond issue in more detail.

As the Pirate Log reported in February (see our other bond issue article), the bond calls for the construction of a brand new seventh and eighth grade center just north of the administration building and a two-story building on the campus of the high school.

A visual aide was offered to teachers in order to clarify the amount of money that the bond issue calls for.  This bond does show a decrease in percentage for the overall project and the card given clarifies how much community members’ taxes would increase over the course of the coming years.

This card was handed out to faculty members during the recent meeting with Dr. Sjoberg.

Dr. Sjoberg clarified the designs for the teachers, saying that the seventh and eighth grade center would alleviate space concerns at the middle school by building nineteen new classrooms and a cafeteria that would seat 450 students.

He also addressed features of the center that would decrease safety concerns.

“There would be one central entrance and exit,” said Sjoberg in the meeting.  He added, moreover, that there would also be a “security shack” to ensure the safety of all students upon arrival to the new campus.    He assured teachers that the plans would result in an area much safer than the current middle school.

Sjoberg mentioned that the two-story addition at the high school would create twenty-one new classrooms including science labs and a state of the art home economics room.  These new classes would be connected to the main building by a corridor which would branch off of the glass doors facing the current courtyard area.

These new classes would, as he says, provide “flexibility for a few years.”  As construction is completed on new classrooms, classes will be moved to the new building, leaving empty classrooms in the original building on campus.  This would allow for overflow of classes and provide for the growth in number of classes offered during a day as it is needed.

The bond issue will appear on the April 3 election ballot.

Take our poll on the bond issue:

Do you support the proposed bond issue?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...