The New Tarte Shape-Tape Foundation

Pros and cons

Alyssa Driver

Tarte cosmetics released their new Shape-Tape foundation on January 12th, 2018.

Their shape-tape concealer did so well they thought they should release a foundation just like the concealer. The foundation is starting at $39 and comes in 15 shades. It comes in a matte and a hydrating version.

With the Shape Tape foundation comes many pros and many cons.

There are many good reviews on Ulta’s website, many YouTube videos about the foundation, and they have been very positive reviews.  Many have said it’s lightweight, blends easily, and long-lasting.  The foundation is also fragrance-free, which is good for people who are sensitive to smells.

The foundation has a few cons though, one being the awful shade range. The foundation comes in 15 shades and there are only 2 darker shades and they still don’t fit everyone with dark skin because the only undertones they are offer are orange. A good amount of women with dark or deep skin tones have more red undertones, not just orange. There is one medium shade which again is orange and most people with medium skin have olive and peach undertones, but if you’re white, you’re in luck because they have all undertones for the white community.

Tarte responded to the backlash saying “We want to let you know we hear you… You all know by now that we revealed our much anticipated shape tape foundation & the final shade range that we launched was definitely not representation of all of you. It may be too little too late, but we can assure you this was not meant in any kind of malicious way.”

They are slowly adding new shades, but not quick enough. It will be a while till they get all the dark and medium shades out.

The foundation comes in two versions, hydrating and matte. The matte is not too matte but matte enough to where its comfortable and not too drying. The hydrating one is moisturizing and is good for people with dry skin and needs a good moist foundation. I’ve read that the hydrating foundation oxidizes, but I cannot confirm that.

Overall the foundation is a good price, has good options for different skin types, but doesn’t have a good shade range.