• Dec 12, 2:29 pmPirate Basketball HoCo Thursday December 21 @ 6 pm

• Dec 12, 2:29 pmPirate Wrestling Homecoming Thursday December 14 in the Gym, 6 pm.

• Dec 12, 2:28 pmThe AP US History class will be visiting the Gilcrease museum Wednesday December 13.

The Nintendo Switch

Over-Hyped or Greatly Liked?

Landon Perkin, Sports

With the unveiling of the Nintendo Switch in October 2016, under the codename NX, many people wondered whether it would be a total flop or a great success.

The Switch, Nintendo’s newest console, is introducing crazy concepts. The Switch itself can stay at home with its dock, or it can be on the go, featuring a kickstand and detachable controllers for the multiplayer experience.

Throughout gaming history, people and developers have over-hyped games and consoles to the point that when they come out, buyers become disappointed with it because they thought that it would be so much better.

One of the biggest over-hyped games was No Man’s Sky. I personally fell for the No Man’s Sky hype. No Man’s Sky was supposed to be this massive open-world space game with billions of planets to explore. In the game, you were supposed to be able to go and discover species, have epic space battles, and actually flying between stars and planets. One developer even said that every player was playing in the same world, but it was so huge that no one would ever see anyone else. But instead, all we got was a game missing a lot of promised features and that had very dull and repetitive gameplay.

Another failure was the Switch’s predecessor, the Wii U. The Wii U is the worst selling Nintendo console to date. Only about 13 million units were sold worldwide. Compared to the Wii, which sold more than 100 million units in its lifetime, the Wii U is insignificant.

So, naturally, people were skeptical when Nintendo was promising all these crazy ideas. Would the Switch become another over-hyped console? Would it fail just like the Wii U and No Man’s Sky?

And it didn’t help that the Switch had only five games to be released at launch. But this list eventually grew and introduced hundreds of new games to be released over 2017.

When the Switch was released on March 3, 2017, they were flying off the shelves: 2.76 million units were sold worldwide within one month of the launch.

One of the games that was released at launch was Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. This new entry to the Zelda series was what helped the Switch sell so fast.

BOTW completely changed the formula in the series.

In the past, Zelda games were linear, following one dungeon and boss after the other. But this game was different. The game was non-linear, meaning players could go to any dungeon in whatever order they felt like.

BOTW was well received by the community, getting perfect ratings from many critics. I have personally played the game multiple times through, and each time I play it, I never get bored. There’s so much to see and do in this game that just playing through the main dungeons is barely scratching the surface of the content.

As of September 30, Nintendo reports that they have sold 7.63 million units worldwide. According to Tatsumi Kimishima, the President of Nintendo, Nintendo now believes that if they can realize 10 million in Switch sales in 2017, they expect that the Switch will have lifetime sales that are comparable to the Wii, which had sold over 100 million units in its lifetime.

NPD Analyst Mat Piscatella said, “Switch is on pace to exceed Wii by 20%+ over the first 10 months of sales. The thing is though, the Switch, from a demographic and usage basis, is nothing like the Wii. It’s much more a core gamer console than anything Nintendo has done since maybe NGC(Nintendo GameCube)? …and because it’s a hybrid, multi-console ownership per household could be a thing, making upside potential bigger than the Wii.

A Switch game that was recently released and doing great is Super Mario Odyssey. IGN gave Super Mario Odyssey a perfect 10/10. The game is an addition to the Mario series. The new Mario game is in 3D like Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario 64. Mario goes to many different worlds, including a real-life themed city called “New Donk City.” A new character added to the game is Cappy, Mario’s new partner that helps him along the way. Mario can use Cappy’s abilities to gain extra mobility around the world and as an aid in combat. Cappy’s original form is a white top hat. He can transform into multiple different hats, but Mario’s is the main one. I haven’t gotten a chance to play this game yet, but I hope to in the future, as this game really mixes things up.

The Switch was most definitely a success. The Nintendo Switch lived up to its hype. Many games have come out that are good, and many more games will come out that will hopefully be great. The Switch’s ability to be played at home and while traveling is really cool. I love being able to continue the same adventure as when I’m at home whenever I travel.