• Dec 12, 2:29 pmPirate Basketball HoCo Thursday December 21 @ 6 pm

• Dec 12, 2:29 pmPirate Wrestling Homecoming Thursday December 14 in the Gym, 6 pm.

• Dec 12, 2:28 pmThe AP US History class will be visiting the Gilcrease museum Wednesday December 13.

How To Find Treasures at a Thrift Store

Tips for Thrifting

Shannon Padilla and Elizabeth Baeza, Health and Beauty Staff

It is said to be that “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure,” and in this case it is true. Lately, thrift shopping has been on the rise. Many Youtubers such as Marla Catherine, HotCheetoMami, and ThreadsObsessed are quite big when it comes to thrift store lookbooks. There are many lookbooks, try-on hauls, and how- to videos over thrifting on Youtube. Here are some of the tips we learned from thrifting on our own and from the help of some videos:

1. Find your style

Go shopping and pick up everything that catches your eye. Notice colors, patterns, and, shapes that you lean towards most. Create a mental list of what you like, and what your style is. If you shop for clothes that are close to your style, you will find yourself more likely to wear your clothes, instead of stuffing them in the back of your closet after a week.

Looking for inspiration through magazines and celebrities could give you a good sense of what to base your style on. Making a collage or a gallery of outfits that you like will help you create great, put-together outfits.

1. Take your time

Thrifting can take what feels like forever. Don’t give up on your first try. Look at every piece of clothing and think about how you would personally style it. If you can’t find anything the first time around, don’t be bummed out. Sometimes it takes multiple trips to really find that special piece of clothing.

Going multiple times a month or even a week will better your chances at finding great pieces before some other thrifters snatch them up. Some stores put out new clothes every day, while others put out new items only once every two weeks or once a month. Try to figure out when your local stores restock and be sure to make a trip on those days.

1. Explore Your Options

Each thrift store has its one of a kind clothing. Don’t just stick to one store when there are several. In more populated areas it will be easier to find brand items such as, Tommy Hilfiger and perhaps Gucci. You don’t always have to be on the lookout for high end brand names, you can also check for styles that fit you and colors that you like. Different stores have different selections, and the more places you visit, the more likely you are to find clothes perfect for you.

1. Shop in all sections

An easy hack to having a bigger selection is to shop in every section of the store. Mens clothing is very easy to style for women, and some women are small enough to fit into children’s clothes. Some trends that are easy to find in the mens section are oversized sweaters and t shirts. Look in the shoe sections for any cheap deals on like-new shoes. Also check in the jacket, jeans, skirts, and blouse sections.

1. Get out of your comfort zone

Don’t be afraid to try new things. Stick to your own unique style, but also try to find new articles of clothing that you could incorporate into your wardrobe to make it your own. Taking risks could introduce you to something that you never thought you would be interested in.

1. Be Confident

Lastly, own your style. Find your own look and be confident in it. Wear pieces that make you feel comfortable and don’t worry about what other people think. Shopping is fun and a great way to express yourself. Thrifting is an easy way to put a unique spin on your own personal style.

Finally, just have fun with it! It is totally worth it! Thrifting is cheaper than buying brand name clothes, and it’s most likely no one else will have the same piece as you.