• Dec 12, 2:29 pmPirate Basketball HoCo Thursday December 21 @ 6 pm

• Dec 12, 2:29 pmPirate Wrestling Homecoming Thursday December 14 in the Gym, 6 pm.

• Dec 12, 2:28 pmThe AP US History class will be visiting the Gilcrease museum Wednesday December 13.

Poteau vs. Wagoner: The Pirates’ Only Playoff Game of the Year

Landon Perkin

On Friday, November 10, the Poteau Pirates Varsity played against the Wagoner Bulldogs in the first playoff game of the year. Poteau lost this game 35-28 in overtime.

This loss means that Poteau will not continue playing football games for the year. They finished the season with seven wins and four losses.

In the first quarter, Poteau scored two touchdowns, and Wagoner scored one. The score at the end of the quarter was 14-7.

During the second quarter, each team scored a touchdown. The score at the end of the half was 21-14, with Poteau in the lead.

At the end of the third quarter,  the Pirates scored one touchdown, and the Bulldogs made another but missed the PAT (Point After Touchdown). This means that Poteau was in the lead 28-20.

In the last quarter, Poteau did not score, but Wagoner scored a touchdown and made a two-point conversion to tie up the game, which added an extra possession for overtime.

When two teams are tied when the fourth quarter ends, an extra period of time is added to break the tie, called “overtime”. The teams each get a turn to try to score a touchdown, which is added to the total score. The ball is put on the ten-yard line and each team has four downs to score some points.

During overtime, Wagoner was able to score a touchdown and a PAT. The Pirates managed to get one yard away from the zone, but not inside it. Poteau lost 35-28 to Wagoner.

Easton F. (#2, QB, SS) scored two touchdowns, Jett P. (#11, QB, CB) scored one, and Race W. (#4, DB, WR) scored one.

Garret C. (#86, K) kicked in all of the PATs and kicked a total of 127 yards on five kickoffs.

Gunnar T. (#25, TE, DE) had eleven total tackles, Nathan U. (#10, RB, MLB) had ten, Race W. had eight, Louden S. (#13, FB, MLB) had seven, Dalton B. (#45, RB, OLB) had six, Kagan S. (#5, DB, QB) had six, Ryan L. (#44, DE, FB) had six, Jayden M. (#1, RB, FS) had four, Joshua S. (#77, DE, T) had three, Preston D. (#15, FS, WR) had two, and Kass F. (#62, T, DT) had a single solo-tackle.

Although the PHS varsity team lost, they gave the number one 4A team in the state a “run for their money.”  Poteau had six more total plays and one more first down than Wagoner.