The “Franchise Curse”

The End of Hollywood

Back to Article
Back to Article

The “Franchise Curse”

Kelly Webster, Staff

Studios lately having been turning EVERYTHING into a franchise. DC has been trying to get in on some Marvel money by putting their heroes together and forming the Justice League. Universal, just this year, tried to start a classic monster franchise with The Mummy. It flopped, but they tried. Star Wars is even pushing out new movies every year. Where did this start? Why is this a bad thing?

It all started In 2012, Marvel’s The Avengers was released, bringing in a whopping at $623,357,910 the box office according to Box office Mojo . Not just that, but it was a hit with the general audience. Sitting at a 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, Avengers grabbed the audience’s interest so much that people go multiple times a year to catch the new Marvel movie. Marvel has pushed out multiple hits since Avengers such as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, and Spider-Man:  Homecoming. People, five years after Avengers, are still hyped for these films.

The problem is, Marvel succeeds at this because they took time to let us get to know the characters. They’ve been at it for nine years. They’re not afraid to try new stuff. 2014’s Guardians of the Galaxy brought us to space. 2016’s Doctor Strange brought us on a psychological mind-boggler using magic and alternate dimensions like something straight out of a Jimi Hendrix song. The problem with The Mummy was, yes, it was terrible, but it brought nothing new to the table.

In conclusion, everyone’s just craving something new. La La Land, Moonlight, Whiplash, Birdman, Baby Driver, Get Out, and Split all got so much attention because they’re fresh. The reason we don’t get fresh movies often anymore is Hollywood is only pushing out what pushes back in money.