Hurricane Harvey’s Impact

A Destructive Storm

Landon Perkin, Staff

Hurricane Harvey has made a devastating blow to the United States. On August 25, Harvey entered up through the gulf straight into Texas. As a result of the hurricane, buildings were destroyed, parts of Texas were flooded, and over 70 people died.

Rockport was hit first.  Rockport is a coastal city in Texas, and was hit when Harvey was a Category 4 storm. The winds had reached 140 mph, according to CNN’s report. Roofs were ripped off, trees and signs were torn out of the ground, and electrical utilities were damaged, which started house fires.

In Houston, Texas, the fourth-largest city in America, flooding has caused damage to many buildings, and trapped people from the rest of the world. Chris Milliner, an earthquake scientist at NASA, shows that Houston sank around 2 centimeters in his post on Twitter. The rainfall from Harvey reached a record-breaking 51.88 inches in Cedar Bayou, as reported by the National Weather Service.

Hurricane Harvey has directly and indirectly resulted in the death of more than 70 people, as stated by local city and county officials in Texas. Many people died in the floods, were hit by debris, or were trapped in buildings without power. Harris County has reported the highest amount of deaths, with 34 citizens dead. As stated by the governor of Texas, the cost of the hurricane’s damage is estimated to be up to $180 billion, which makes Harvey the most costly natural disaster in American history.

A telethon for the storm entitled “Hand in Hand: A Benefit for Hurricane Relief” was broadcasted on four major channels, NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox. It was held from 8 p.m. ET to 9 p.m. ET. People donated over $44 million that then went to charities including Rebuild Texas Fund, ASPCA, Best Friends, Direct Relief, Feeding Texas, Feeding Florida, Habitat for Humanity, Save the Children, and United Way. People can still donate $25 to the cause via phone by texting “GIVE” to 80077, or by calling 1-800-258-6000. The public can also donate on Hand in Hand’s website: handinhand2017.com.

Overall, Harvey was a huge, destructive hit to the United States. Being the new costliest storm to hit the United States, a lot of time will be taken to repair all the damage done. With Irma, another hurricane that hit Florida, and Jose, a hurricane still in the waters, this hurricane season is going to be a strong one, but not the strongest. 2005, holds the record of most named storms with 28, while 2017 is predicted by NOAA to be up to 19.