Going Into the New School Year

What this semester has in store

Back to Article
Back to Article

Going Into the New School Year

The Pirates gather for the hall march.

The Pirates gather for the hall march.

Wesley Bunn

The Pirates gather for the hall march.

Wesley Bunn

Wesley Bunn

The Pirates gather for the hall march.

Abby Eden, Staff

Briar Bowen
The football team participates in their first home scrimmage in August.

The 2017-18 school year is getting kicked off to a good start.

So far the football, softball, and cross country teams have been practicing for their seasons. Also, the band has been practicing their marching show, “The New World Symphony.”  

Lauren Peck-Weisenfels
Blain H., senior, is trapped by the color guard during their halftime presentation of “The New World Symphony” at Tulsa Hale.

The softball team is already half way through their season, having started games just before school began.  This week, they are playing in the LeFlore County Tournament at the PARC.  For a list of upcoming games, students should check out the calendar in the main hallway across from Senor Tarin’s room.

The Lady Pirates prepare for an inning in the field during a recent home game. Catch the girls at the PARC this week during the LeFlore County Tournament.

Cross Country has attended two races, finding success for many of their individual members.  Coach Tom Brennan has invited all students, even those not on the team to come out and join them on their runs.  

Alondra Martinez
Grayson W., senior, stretches with her teammates before the big run at Tahlequah.

The football season began on September 1 with the Pirates playing at home against the Durant Lions. For many, football season is the season that the school looks forward to.

Alexis M., senior member of the dance team is one of those people.

“Football lunches are my favorite because of the free food,” said Alexis, who is also a member of the band.  “I also love to dance on the side lines and marching.”

Even though everyone calls it football season there are a lot more things going on, including band competitions, which Casie M., senior, says is her favorite thing about football season.

Throughout this semester, the theatre department is putting on a musical and multiple one acts. Little Shop of Horrors, the musical, is on October 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and possibly the 10th, all at 7 p.m. Though on Sunday, the show is at 2 p.m. The annual student written/directed one acts, Random Acts, will be produced on November 4 in the BLK at 7 pm.

Noah Sweet
Sophomore Elizabeth E. and freshmen Juliet F. and McKinlee T. try to relax with a joke before auditioning for the fall musical.

When asked how he feels about being one of the main characters in Little Shop of Horrors, Kennedy T. expressed his excitement.

“I feel excited!” said the senior who has been in every musical during his high school career.  “Theatre is so fun! How much more original besides a killer Venus flytrap can you get?”

Other groups and organizations are gearing up for a busy semester as well.  The Academic Team will meet soon to begin their competition season.  Thespian Troupe #3283 and Pirate Players Theatre Company meet Tuesday Sept. 12 after school in room 106.  FFA members have already participated in the LeFlore County Fair, showing their various animals.  The National Honor Society announced their newest members and held a meeting at lunch to kick off their year.  The Student Council is busy planning events for all of the student body and electing the freshmen class officers.

Briar Bowen
Allison M., Senior, address the student council at their first meeting.

This semester is full of school spirit, and many events yet to come. It will be over faster than you know it so, be sure to get involved.  For more information on what is happening on and off our campus concerning all students and teachers, be sure to check the journalism calendar and the Pirate Log.