Freshman Recovering After Car Accident

Landon Perkin, Staff

Poteau High School Freshman Trista F. was in a car wreck at Pleasant Valley Road on the night of August 17.  The two car collision involved an eastbound truck and a westbound suburban.

In the suburban were Trista, her brother, Tyler F., and Audrey F., her mother.

Out of all of the passengers in the car, Trista was hit the hardest, having been in the passenger’s seat on the driver’s side of the car.  The truck, which crossed the centerline, swiped the side of the suburban, leaving the entire driver’s side exposed.   

Trista’s injuries forced EMS to lifeflight her to Tulsa.  Medical professionals were concerned that she had small cerebral hemorrhages, facial fractures, and most of her teeth knocked out. Tyler and Audrey did not suffer anything severe.

Trista F. was life-flighted to the St. Francis Children’s Hospital in Tulsa, according to her aunt, Angela C., who has been posting a lot of updates on her Facebook account. When Trista arrived, she was put on a ventilator. Trista had multiple xrays, surgery on her maxilla to repair the roof of her mouth. The other people in the car did not have to be treated for any problems.

Many students and staff members have sent care cards. The band at Poteau High School sent goodie baskets with snacks, cards, and other things that the students brought. They also sent a big card that all members of the band signed. Also, Trista’s advocacy class sent an artistic “Get Well Soon” card to her.

Now, she is recovering in her own home, but she will be on restricted activity for several weeks.