Band Homecoming 2016

Imagine it, standing under the lights on the football field as someone overhead announces your name along with the title King or Queen and everyone is cheering for you. This is what a few members of the Pride of Poteau Marching Band experienced September 9th.

Noah Sweet, Assistant News Editor

The ladies of the Band Homecoming court: sophomore Suzannie S., Queen Jessica M., flower girl, freshman Maddison G., and junior Sydney H.

Heritage Portraits
The ladies of the Band Homecoming court: sophomore Suzannie S., Queen Jessica M., flower girl, freshman Maddie G., and junior Sydney H.

Eight of the Poteau High School Marching Pirates were chosen to participate in this year’s homecoming ceremony.  Two people, one male and one female, from each grade were chosen to represent the band in the ceremony.  The whole band was able to vote for who they wanted to represent them in this ceremony.

The freshman attendant was Maddie G. Maddie is the daughter of Jake and Amber G.. She is involved with band, science club, and soccer. Maddie is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She attends early morning seminary before school, is her youth group’s leader and her church’s chorister. Maddie volunteers yearly with the Poteau Chamber of Commerce Trash Off Day. She is a percussionist in the Pride of Poteau Marching Band.

Maddie’s escort was Andrew E. Andrew is the son of Eric and Nova E. He is in band and choir. Andrew is on Superintendent’s honor roll, and was the top History student. He is in OBA. Andrew plays the mellophone in the Pride of Poteau Marching Band.

The sophomore attendant was Suzannie S. Suzannie is the daughter of Bruno S. She is in the high school marching and jazz band. Suzannie attends Christ the King Catholic Church and helps her father with his mobile DJ. Suzannie plays the alto saxophone in the Pride of Poteau Marching Band.

Suzannie’s escort was Noah S. Noah is the son of Erich and Adria S. He is a member of the Pride of Poteau Marching Band, Pirate Players Theatre Company, Mock Trial, Journalism, and the Debate and Forensics Team. Noah is the Treasurer of the Thespian Troupe #3293 and is part of the International Thespian Honor Society.  He volunteers at GC3 Church in Wister and with “Trick or Treat, So Kids Can Eat”. Noah plays trombone in the Pride of Poteau Marching Band.

The junior attendant was Sydney H. Sydney is the daughter of Trent and Tammy H. She has been in band for 6 years, is part of the percussion ensemble and is the section leader, jazz band, and National Honor Society. Sydney is on the Superintendent’s Honor Roll, Oklahoma Indian Honor Roll, and has made All-District Band for four years. She attends Covenant Church, is a member of the EYC worship band and is a NFMC 2 time state finalist in piano. Sydney is a percussionist in the Pride of Poteau Marching Band.

Sydney’s escort was Jose C. Jose is the son of Jose C. and Isabel P. He is in band, choir, jazz band, winter guard, and Drug free coalition. Jose received 1st alternative all district band. He volunteers at Relay for Life, and by picking up trash with the DFC. Jose works of roofing. Jose plays trumpet in the Pride of Poteau Marching Band.

The 2016 Band Homecoming Queen was Jessica M. Jessica is the daughter of James M. and Dean and Cynthia H. She has been in marching band for four years. Jessica is involved with mock trial, journalism, and is the Vice President of Science Club. She placed first in the regional science fair and school science fair in 2015. Jessica was part of the band that won Sweepstakes in 2013-2014 and that placed 4th in class 4A at OBA. Jessica plays trumpet in the Pride of Poteau Marching Band

Jessica was escorted by the 2016 Band Homecoming King, Mark P. Mark is the son of Jon and Amber P. He is a member of band, NHS, and Academic Bowl. Mark is on the Principal’s Honor Roll, was voted most improved band member, and outstanding Junior band member. He is involved with the Cross Community Youth group. Mark is the Academic Team Co-Captain. Mark is the Drum Major for the Pride of Poteau Marching Band.

The boys of the Band Homecoming court: freshman Andrew E., King Mark Pickel, crown bearer, sophomore Noah S., and junior Jose C.

Heritage Portraits